BaltimoreGeorgiaMemphisNew York City
Section En
Health Children & Families Tax Credits Housing & Utilities Community Resources Documents
How do I apply for Families First?

To apply for Families First, call the Shelby County office for the Department of Human Services at:

Shelby County Main Office
170 North Main Street
Memphis, TN 38103-1820
Phone: (901) 543-7351
FAX: (901) 543-6084

OR, visit your nearest Families First office:

3360 South 3rd Street
Memphis, TN 38109
(901) 344-5040
3230 Jackson Ave
Memphis, TN 38122
(901) 320-7200

What do I Need to Bring?
To apply for this benefit, you will need:
  • Proof of Social Security
  • Proof of identity for yourself and all family members(produce birth certificates for children)
  • Proof of income (i.e. 8 weeks of pay stubs)
  • Proof of unemployment or future unemployment
  • Proof of living expenses (i.e. medical bills, phone bills, utility bills)
  • Proof of bank account, if applicable (i.e. account statement)
  • Information on any property or vehicle owned (i.e. car title or leasing statement)
If you don’t have regular pay stubs to prove your income, see alternatives

Look Out
If you want to maintain and continue receiving Families First, you must set up an interview with your DHS case worker and fill out a renewal application. Recertification occurs every 6 months and you must submit recent information. Visit our “What do I need to bring”, section for more information.

After reviewing all of this information to determine recertification, the DHS caseworker has 30 days to contact you about their status. If your 30 days pass and your DHS caseworker has not contacted you, you are encouraged to give them a call, go to your nearest county office. or call the Families Assistance Helpline Toll-Free at 1-888-863-6178.