BaltimoreGeorgiaMemphisNew York City
Section En
Health Children & Families Tax Credits Housing & Utilities Community Resources Documents
How do I apply for Head Start?

Contact the Shelby County Head Start agency to fill out a recruitment form and find a location to serve you. There is currently a waiting list, but openings do occur and parents are encouraged to apply.

Shelby County Head Start
1991 Corporate Ave
Memphis, TN 38132
Phone: (901) 922-0700

You can also contact a Head Start delegate center. The Head Start delegate centers have their own enrollment process and restrictions.

There are six Head Start delegate centers in Shelby County:

Douglas Head Start
4207 American Way
Memphis, TN 38118
Tel: 901-452-7736
M.I.F.A. (Les Passees) H.S.
715 St. Paul
Memphis, TN 38126
tel: 901-525-7766
Porter Leath Children’s Center
1600 Ash Street
Memphis, TN 38108
Tel: 901-795-7544
Neighborhood Housing Opportunities
1548 Poplar Ave.
Memphis, TN 38104
Tel: 901-729-2934
Fax: 901-729-2933
Primary Preparatory, Inc
3274 Range Line Rd
Memphis, TN 38127
Tel: 901-358-6555
Fax: 901-358-6531
Goodwill Homes H.S.
4590 Goodwill Rd
Memphis, TN 38109
Tel: 901-922-0700
Fax: 901-789-2142
4727 Elvis Presley Blvd.
Memphis, TN 38126
Tel: 901-332-8276
Fax: 901-398-2366

What do I Need to Bring?
To apply for this benefit, you will need:
  • Proof of your child's age
  • Your child’s immunizations
  • Proof of address
  • Proof of household income
If you don't have regular pay stubs to prove your income, see alternatives here.

The needed documents section lists all the forms and documents you can use to prove your household's income, resources, where you live, your social security number, your citizenship or immigration status, etc.

Look Out
Not Eligible Head Start?
The Child Care Aware program can help you locate other childcare services. To find the local childcare resource and referral agency, contact Child Care Aware toll free at: (800) 424-2246.