Do i qualify for a Section 8 Voucher?
You may be eligible if:
- You are 18 or over; AND
- Your family earns less than 50% of the Area Median Income, ($28,650 a year), AND
- You have lived in Shelby County for at least one year, AND
- You want to rent an apartment within Shelby County, AND
- You are a United States Citizen OR an eligible immigrant, AND
- Your household’s members are all citizens or eligible immigrants, which
includes permanent residents and lawful temporary residents (see below for details).
Once you receive a voucher, it can only apply to an apartment unit that
THDA has determined is eligible. This means it must meet THDA’s
“Housing Quality” standards, which requires that the apartment be safe
and sanitary; and the building must be in good condition. Additionally,
the rent charged must be a fair amount and must not cost more than 40%
of your family’s monthly adjusted gross income. (which as determined by
HUD equals your wages and all other sources of income, minus any
deductions). Under the Housing Quality standards, your apartment must
also hold the appropriate number of rooms for your family size, as
shown below. There are some exceptions to THDA’s standards, so you
should discuss in detail with your field representative.
||Minimum # of Persons in Household
||Maximum # of Persons in Household